Sunday

It's OK To Tell by Lauren Book

I just read a book called It's Ok To Tell by Lauren Book and I simply MUST recommend it to you.

Lauren was a victim of childhood sexual abuse for six years at the hands of her nanny starting at the age of 11. She kept her abuse a secret for all of those years because her abuser knew exactly how to keep Lauren silent through manipulation and fear. In her book, Lauren gives you a unique insight into what she was feeling during the abuse and why she felt she couldn't tell anyone what was happening to her.

What I find so amazing about it is how she answers the question that so many victims of childhood sexual abuse face...and that is...Why didn't you tell someone about your abuse?

I am also in awe of Lauren's courage. Not only did she have the strength to tell her story but she had the strength to face people and their accusations.

When I reported my rape, no one questioned whether or not I was raped.
No one asked me why I went for a bike ride all by myself.
No one asked me why I was wearing what I was wearing.
No one asked me if I enjoyed it.

Lauren had to endure questions that no rape victim should ever have to answer.

She inspires me. Not only does she have the courage to tell but she is truly making a difference. Armed with the knowledge that 95 percent of sexual abuse is preventable through education, Lauren has worked to turn her horrific personal experience into a vehicle to prevent childhood sexual abuse and heal survivors by starting Lauren's Kids.


Lauren's Kids encourages victims to "shine a light in dark places" and "shed the shame." Lauren's Kids is based in South Florida and educates adults and children about sexual abuse topics through in-school curriculum, a 24-hour Crisis Hotline and speaking engagements around the country. She also has taken proactive efforts to make Florida a safer place through advocacy for the passage of State Laws that protect and help victims heal and become survivors.

Lauren's Kids holds an annual, statewide "Walk in My Shoes" event, which brings together survivors and advocates on a walk across Florida to raise awareness and promote supportive legislation. This year I am going to show my appreciation for Lauren by participating in the third annual Walk in My Shoes event on February 4th.

Won't you consider joining me?



♥ Jurney Eve







No comments:

Post a Comment